Anyone would want their smile to look beautiful, bright, and healthy as much as possible. Thankfully, with the emergence of various dental procedures, everything now is possible. From enhancing the look of the teeth to its restoration when damaged, there is a certain procedure that can cater to the needs of a patient.
At Rye Dental Associates, we aim to accommodate our patients with only the best treatments available. We will first carefully assess the condition before providing the appropriate procedures. For instance, if their teeth are affected by tooth decay, we would first check the extent of the damage then recommend the best solution. If dental fillings would not be sufficient and if dental crowns are too much for the teeth, we believe that inlays and onlays would be the ideal pick.
What are Inlays and Onlays?
These are types of dental restoration that are also referred to as indirect fillings. Inlays and onlays are usually used to correct teeth problems like tooth decay and fractures. Although they function similarly, they are used quite differently.
Inlays are ideal for the restoration of the damage that is located in the central part of the chewing surface without extending to the cusps (elevated points of a tooth). And on the other hand, onlays are used to restore the damage on the entire surface of the tooth, extending to the cusps. It is the reason why onlays are often referred to as a partial crown.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
- Both procedures are a more conservative approach compared to dental crowns. Its application does not require the removal of too much tooth structures. The dental professional would only remove any affected portions to preserve more of the healthy tooth.
- Direct fillings tend to contract or expand when exposed to hot or cold substances. Its occurrence can often cause the teeth to cause pain and even break. However, with inlays and onlays there is no such risk involved.
- Materials used for the prostheses are carefully picked to make sure that it would look as natural as the adjacent teeth.
- Patients are assured that their restored teeth with inlays and onlays can be used normally. Materials are durable so they can expect that their teeth can withstand regular chewing forces.
- With proper care and maintenance, the indirect restorations can last for a long time. Make sure to observe proper dental hygiene at home and schedule regular dental visits at Rye Dental Associates.
Preserve your teeth that has been compromised by decay! Restore and strengthen it through Inlays and Onlays in Rye, NY. Call us at Rye Dental Associates to book your appointment!